Monday, July 28, 2014

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

As the release date of Opposition is almost here, I decided to do a review of Obsidian. So many people raved about how good this book is and I decided to finally pick it up. It was my first Jennifer L. Armentrout book.

Book summary: 
Starting over sucks. That is definitely the feeling inside Katy when she is forced to move into the deep countryside of West Virginia from Florida. The last thing she expected was to meet Daemon Black. He is more different than any boy Katy has ever met. He's arrogant, stab-worthy and very handsome. Despit this fact Katy is determined to stay away from him... Until the night everything changes, that is.

Katy is your typical teenager when we first see her, She's kind of angry for moving to this remote town in the middle of nowhere. At the beginning of the book you find out that she is a book blogger. That's what made me fond of her. When she meets Daemon, she doesn't know what she feels - he's sexy but at the same time arrogant. As the story goes on you get to see a lot of character development in both of them. Katy is very stubborn, a cliche, even with the whole I-don't-believe-in-supernatural stuff. She made some decisions which I thought were extremely stupid and and very teenage and then it hit me. Of course she is going to act like this, she IS a teenager. This is where the author shines. The characters are so believable and realistic and make you relate to them. 

Daemon on the other side was the more mature one... most of the time. He was acting weird at times but he almost always knew what was right.

The plot is just very interesting as well. The aliens are not presented as these super-violent creatures who want to kill every human. No, in fact they are peaceful and lay low. As time passes you get to see the back-story of Daemon and what he is. The revelations are presented very well and everything was very-well developed. The side supporting characters are also developed.

The writing as I mentioned was extremely good. The author did what I enjoy most - make me feel what the characters feel and relate to them. The descriptions were so easy to imagine. The novel was very well-paced and was way better than I expected. 

In short, Obsidian was a riveting read, which will make you read without stopping and make you forget about work and problems. It's a gripping novel that grabs you from the beginning and does not let you go until the very last word... and then you're left craving for the next book.

I want to point out that I also read both - the Bulgarian and the English version of this book. Egmont Bulgaria was kind enough to translate this awesome series in Bulgarian. The translation is almost perfect with a few mistakes here and there but that is because I got the first print of the book. I am so thankful to the publisher.

Updade 1: Bulgarian review coming out on August 15th.

                                                                  My rating: 
                                                            
                                                            5 out of 5 stars






No comments:

Post a Comment