Tuesday, June 17, 2014

CINDER BY MARISSA MEYER REVIEW (SPOILER-FREE)

           
 Cinder is a sci-fi, dystopian novel, which is written by Marissa Meyer. When I started reading the book, I couldn’t put it down.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer


It is loosely based on the classic fairytale “Cinderella”. Everything takes place in New Beijing 100+ years after the 5th World War. Cinder is gifted mechanic and a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction.

The book is fast-paced and written extremely well. It is told from 3rd person’s POV which was a good choice. There is a lot of foreshadowing in it. I am not quite sure if I like that because you find out many things before the characters themselves and everything leads to these huge reveals and turns.



The characters are relatable and very well build. Especially the evil stepmother cliché. God, I wanted to punch that woman.  Same goes for Queen Levana.

Cinder was not your typical girl character. She was strong and seeked for information herself. As I said I could relate to her with ease.  She was very believable and wasn’t irritating. This can be said about Kai too, excluding the fact that he is naïve.

I was impressed the plot. It was original and had very few plot holes, which I barely noticed. That ending, though. I knew partly what was about to happen from the foreshadowing but I did not suspect everything that happened. There were twists. Everything was leading up to it. That’s all I can say without giving away any spoilers.

In short, Cinder was a riveting read, which is a rollercoaster of emotions through the characters experiences and it’s just fascinating. Marissa Meyer has done a very good job at writing this story with believable characters.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars




The sequels “Scarlet” and “Cress” are on sale now.


I have no rights over the photos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment