Monday, June 30, 2014

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare - Spoiler-free review

Cassandra Clare did what she can do best – pleased her fans by writing the amazing conclusion to ‘The Mortal Instruments’ Series. It was a fascinating read.

“Okayyyyy,” Isabelle said in a low voice, “When did Brother Zachariah get hot?” 


The plot is much like the previous books – kill the bad guy, save the world. Clary and co are trying to find Sebastian who wants to rule the world by using dark shadowhunters he calls Endarkened to conquer it. The war is inevitable and lives will be lost.

‘City of Heavenly Fire’ opens with a double murder and the introduction of the new characters – the twelve-year-old Emma and her relatives. These will be the main characters in Cassandra’s new series – The Dark Artifices. During the course of the book they are folded out and you get to know them. In my opinion the author spent too much time on these characters.

If you follow Cassie on twitter, you’d know that characters we know by name will die. The first death occurs at around the one hundred page mark. Honestly, I didn’t fill such a loss when most of these characters died. I just couldn’t relate to them. Well, save for *SPOILER* Jodran and Raphael

“Isabelle tugged her tank top back down and glared at her brother. “You don’t knock now?”“It’s my bedroom!” Alec spluttered.” 


Throughout the novel you find out who’s been helping Sebastian and why. It was a Downworlders. That’s all I am going to say. Also you explore Sebastian’s motives for doing everything he’s doing.

Jace and Clary were annoying at the beginning of the novel. When their “fire kiss” finally happens it gets more interesting. And if you are their fan of them here’s something: they finally got together *SPOILER* as in having sex on the lakeshore together.  Malec and Sizzy too got some pagetime(not sure if that’s a thing). Even though both had very emotional moments, I was happy with how things worked out in the end.



"Should I change my Facebook status from 'it's complicated' to 'in a relationship'?" Simon said.

Isabelle screwed up her nose adorably "You have a book that's also a face?"


There were a lot of references to ‘The Infernal Devices’ and ‘The Bane Chronicles’. Now, as a person who has read neither of them but has heard a thing of two I wasn't too confused. We get to see Clary meeting Tessa and then comes quite a revelation (at least to me because I haven’t read TID. I am trying to say that there won’t be a problem reading this book without having read Cassandra’s other series. 

The entire second trilogy had set up for the epic final battle. At least I hoped it will be really epic. I was rather disappointed because the final battle between the Nephilim and the Endarkened was not as long as I hoped. But the final twist that happened when Sebastian gave Clary an ultimatum. Soon after that was the plot twist I am talking about.

“Freely we serve

Because we freely love, as in our will

To love or not; in this we stand or fall.”


To sum up, I can easily say that this is the best book of the six. It was written in Clare’s writing, which can be very descriptive. That is what I like about her work. I think she ended the series in the best way she could’ve. I am very happy with this book and I’ll probably pick up Lady Midnight when it’s released next year.

*Mark over the blank spaces to see the hidden text/ spoilers. 

                                        Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars









No comments:

Post a Comment